Battle of the Books
The Battle of the Books is a reading motivation and comprehension program. The goals of this program are to encourage and recognize students who enjoy reading, broaden reading interests, increase reading comprehension, and promote academic excellence.
A list of books is chosen for students to read. Then the students discuss the books, quiz each other on the contents, and compete in teams of 4-5 students to correctly answer questions based on the books in a "quiz show" format. The questions used all begin with the words, "In which book..." so that the answer will always be a title and author. The students will be competing against other teams from the same grade level in our school.
During their library lesson students will have time to discuss the "BOB" books and review questions. The focus of our Battle of the Books program is on participation not competition. Everyone who participates will receive a certificate and will be invited to celebrate their reading accomplishments at a "BOB" celebration.
If you have any questions regarding this program, please feel free to send me an e-mail or call the school.
Library Media Director
(920)648-2338 extension 406
As of July 8th, 2020 I am at work securing copies for our students to read, study, and enjoy!
Battle of the Books will begin in October 2020 and finish up with the state competition the last week of February 2021.
WEMTA Battle of the Books
Elementary Division (grades 4-6)
1. Amulet: Firelight by Dazu Kibuishi
2. The Bad Seed by Jory John
3. Barbed Wire Baseball by Marissa Moss
4. The Big Game by Tim Green
5. The Birchbark House by Louise Erdich
6. Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Wrecking Ball by Jeff Kinney
7. Dog Man: Brawl of the Wild by Dav Pilkey
8. Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library by Chris Grabenstein
9. The Fourteenth Goldfish by Jennifer Holm
10. Freedom Train North: Stories fo the Underground Railroad in Wisconsin by Julia Pferdehirt
11. King Baby by Kate Beaton
12. I Survived the Attack of the Grizzlies, 1967 by Lauren Tarshis
13. Narwhal's Otter Friend by Ben Clanton
14. The One and Only Bob by Katherine Applegate
15. The Pigeon Has to Go to School! by Mo Willems
16. The Thank You Book by Mo Willems
17. The Watsons Go To Birmingham, 1963 by Christopher Paul Curtis
18. We Don't Eat Our Classmates! by Ryan T. Higgins
19. Wish by Barbara O'Connor
20. Wonder by R.J. Palacio